Fellowship Grant Instructions
These instructions are for our 2016 funding cycle. The site will begin to accept application submissions on Monday, January 4, 2016. Applications are due on Friday, February 5, 2016 at 5:00 pm PST. Applicants will receive funding decisions from the Foundation in June 2016.
|Fellowship Grant Parameters|
|Funding Areas||Diabetes or Aging|
|Maximum Funding||$60,000 per year|
|Duration of the Award||Up to three (3) years, subject to annual Foundation approval, non-renewable|
|Maximum Allowable Indirect Costs||10% ($6,000), included in the total grant|
||February 5, 2016
|Anticipated Start Date||July 1, 2016|
COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING IN THE ORDER OUTLINED
PLEASE NOTE: The Mentor is NOT the Principle Investigator for the grant application, the actual Fellow applying for the award should be listed as the Principle Investigator in ALL areas of the application and anything associated with it (e.g. the LLHF website user account).
Application Cover Page
Complete the LLHF Grant Application Cover Page using the instructions that are provided for your reference. Please note: If a grant is funded, the original, signed and dated cover page must be mailed to the LLHF before funds can be made available (do not send a scanned copy).
Requirements of the Mentor/Host Institution
The applicant for the Fellowship Grant must have the support of his or her departmental chair or center director, who is required to provide the following assurances (3 page maximum):
- The mentor’s name, position title and full address (including phone, fax and email).
- CV/Biosketch of the mentor (5 page maximum, not included in page restriction listed above).
- Please provide a list of fellows previously trained by the mentor, the dates of their fellowships and their current appointments and status. Please provide the address and contact telephone number of the last three fellows who may be contacted for letters to describe their mentoring experience.
- Please indicate the sources and quantity of other funds that will be used by the mentor or have been applied for to fund the research project (years one, two and three).
- Describe the fellow applicant’s past training and potential for independent research.
- Please describe the training aspects of this program. How will the mentor train the fellow? What courses will the fellow have available on research training? How will the mentor assess the development of the fellow?
- Describe how the host institution and the mentor will provide appropriate infrastructure or physical resources to the fellow (computer access, personal work space, laboratory space, access to core facilities, library use, research training classes etc).
Requirements of the Fellowship Applicant
- Summary of Proposal in Lay Terms (1 page maximum): Provide a summary for reviewers not trained in science, describing the Fellowship Grant, the project goals and the objectives that you hope to accomplish.
- Compatibility to LLHF Goals (1 page maximum): Clearly elucidate how the research proposal fits within the funding areas identified by the Foundation. Specifically state how the proposed research project meets the grant criteria as listed on our website.
- The Research Plan (7 page maximum): Please include Specific Aims (1 page), Background (1 page), Preliminary Data and Research Plan (5 pages) – Please use this space to outline how this plan is complimentary but distinct from the currently funded work of the researcher, if applicable. Describe the stated research methods and statistical analysis. Please review further Fellowship grant criteria on our website.
- The Time Line (2 page maximum): Outline the planned time line for each of the research objectives/specific aims.
- Cited References: Include in full, all authors and publication titles in the order they appear in the application (not included in the page restrictions of the research plan).
- CV/Biosketch (3 page maximum): Provide an NIH style biosketch for the applicant. If you have received your doctorate degree more than 3 years prior to the current application, please explain.
- Published Papers: Please add up to 10 PDF files of published papers (do not include papers in review or not yet published) by the applicant. The PDF files of the published papers must be submitted via our website in the publications folder of "your grant" area and should not be included in the body of the grant application. The published papers should be submitted by the publication title of the paper.
- Letters of Recommendation: Submit two letters of recommendation, signed and on institution letterhead (not to include the mentor), electronically as part of this grant application. If letters need to be sent separately and directly to the LLHF, please instruct the sender to email the letter(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org and the "subject" line of the email should read: "LOR for Dr. (applicant's last name)".
- Provide detailed budget and budget justification, using LLHF Budget Forms and instructions. Use a maximum of 3 additional pages for the justification.
- If indirect costs are applied by the Host Institution, the maximum allowed each year is 10% of the annual LLHF grant or $6,000 per year and these costs should be budgeted as part of the total award for that year.
- Restrictions to the Fellowship Grant budget are as follows:
- Personnel costs are restricted to the fellowship applicant.
- Maximum of $5,000 per year for equipment (must be itemized).
- Maximum of $2,500 per year on travel (including mandatory attendance to the Annual Hillblom Foundation Scientific Meeting).
- Supply costs are not allowed.
- Please list all active and pending funding for the applicant of this Fellowship grant. Please provide a copy of the "specific aims" page for all active or pending grant support; indicate any overlap and explain how this will be resolved if this grant is funded (please refer to the LLHF Fellowship grant criteria/grant restrictions).
If this grant is funded the following must be provided to the Foundation (sent as hard copies) before funds can be made available:
- Signed and dated original of the LLHF Grant Application Cover Page.
- A copy of the current grant specific Institutional Review Board approval, if applicable. The project title and PI must be referenced in the approval letter.
- A copy of the current grant specific Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee approval, if applicable. The project title and PI must be referenced in the approval letter.
Formatting Requirements (consistent with NIH PHS 398 Guidelines)
- Use an Arial, Helvetica, Palatino Linotype or Georgia typeface and a font size of 11 points or larger. (A symbol font may be used to insert Greek letters or special characters; the font size requirement still applies.)
- Type density, including characters and spaces, must be no more than 15 characters per inch.
- Type may be no more than six lines per inch.
- Use black ink that can be clearly copied.
- Print must be clear and legible.
- Page Margins
- Use standard size (8 1⁄2” x 11”) sheets of paper.
- Use at least one-half inch margins (top, bottom, left, and right) for all pages, including continuation pages.
- Application Paging
- The application must be single-sided and single-spaced.
- Consecutively number pages throughout the application. Do not use suffixes (e.g., 5a, 5b).
- Do not include unnumbered pages.
- Figures, Graphs, Diagrams, Charts, Tables, Figure Legends, and Footnotes
- You may use a smaller type size but it must be in black ink, readily legible, and follow the font typeface requirement.